Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

TCS: Honey Bee Cake from Julie Richardson's Vintage Cakes

We at The Cake Slice (at blogspot)
and  check us out on FB HERE!
baked Honey Bee Cake for March 2013!

my pictures of the bake:
Be warned that the batter will be stiff!
I used three 4" diameter round tins with removeable bottoms
which I lined with parchment and the sides too!
lining the tins make getting the cakes out without any problems!!
finally make full use of the honey my lil sis sent from NZ!
only problem I had was that the sugar crystallized again when the glaze cooled 
super moist interiors after the glaze soaked in
I totally forgot not to glaze one of these three beauties
just to gauge the taste of the cake without it... perhaps the next time?
sliced up one cake for own consumption,  DH says a tad sweet for him;
gave one cake away to management (no feedback as yet);
last cake sliced up, packed and in the freezer  (will update if it freezes well)

Julie Richardson's Honey Bee Cake
from her lovely book ~ Vintage Cakes!

for the cake batter:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk (at room temperature)
3/4 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)

for the glaze:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
heaping 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
visit The Cake Slice at FB for recipe and instructions (I copied the ingredients from another HoneyBeeCake baker HERE)
or page 31 from 

14 comments:

Paloma said...

Your cakes look adorable! Sweet and spongy! Great job! I love them! and I loved that you mention our new FB page in your post! I did too when I wrote my post! It will be up tomorrow :) can't wait!

Unknown said...

Awww, I like the little cakes you made. They look so much fuller than the ones baked in a normal 9-inch cake pan.

natalia said...

Ciao Emily, I love the little cakes !

Joy said...

Emily, your LITTLE cakes are a BIG hit! :) You had honey from New Zealand- how cool is that??

OvenDelights said...

They turned out beautiful! Love the the light golden color! Nicely done :)

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

I bet that honey tasted amazing. I almost used some of my Aussie honey but I love it so much on my toast that I decided to use a local Hawaiian honey instead. I love that you made little cakes perfect for sharing.

LadyMacaron20ten said...

Yum - they look so moist and delish!

Heather said...

They look great and I love that you put them in little tins too.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Your cakes turned out wonderful! I went for mini cakes rather then one large cake as I was giving them away to friends :)

Anne@ASaladForAllSeasons said...

Beautiful cakes, Emily! And what a great idea to bake 3 smaller cakes...so perfect for sharing! I bet your New Zealand honey was luscious! : )

Unknown said...

Emily, your cakes look wholesome! Such a brilliant idea to divide the cake batter into 3 little cakes :) Spread the love!!

Stacie said...

I love how you always use different sizes of pans, I think it makes it so much more fun!

Hello said...

This looks like a beautiful cake with lots of depth to it. xxx

ImWhisper said...

Your cakes turned out so yummy looking. New Zealand honey... hmmm... I would love to try this cake with different types of honey.

:)
Holly