Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 28, 2014

FFwD ~ Vegetable Barley Soup with the taste of little India

This Friday's dish is a very simple vegetable soup
with garam masala (I skip the chili flakes)
fresh tumeric instead of ground, fresh ginger, chopped onion
parsnips, carrots and barley
in chicken stock 
this was very pleasant but I find the vegetables too well cooked
(as I cut them rather small - so chunks the next time!)
cos the barley took quite long to cook til tender
 
there is some heat from fresh ginger so I was right to skip the chili flakes
do check out the rest of group's results at:
page 89

Thanks for dropping by for a visit and leaving me a comment!

16 comments:

Amy said...

It really was a nice, easy soup!

Ei said...

Your soup looks great. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm anxious to catch up on this recipe.

Hiiro said...

add some green color garnishing would be perfect i think?

Nana said...

Delicious looking soup, this was rather easy to make and did not
take too much cooking time.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

This is very pretty and I love the floral carrot on top!

Cher Rockwell said...

I liked your carrot flower :-)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Both your soup and chicken look wonderful! Have a great weekend!

Kathy said...

Two lovely dishes! Glad you enjoyed the soup! Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the soup. I like the happy looking carrot slices in there.

kitchen flavours said...

Lovely soup Emily! The barley is an interesting ingredient!

Unknown said...

Your soup looks good Emily. Glad you enjoyed it and your chicken too!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Lovely looking soup, Emily, glad that you enjoyed this recipe!

Mary Hirsch said...

I don't think your vegetable chunks look any smaller than mine. That's about how I cut mine up. But, your barley did take longer to cook than mine. That must be the difference. Your soup still looks delicious.

Unknown said...

Looks great. Glad you liked it. And your chicken recipe looks terrific!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this soup, too. And I agree with you, larger chunks are better. I like a little texture in my soup.

Jora said...

I always find it challenging with soups to get everything cooked the right amount. So often you have to choose between some parts being over-cooked and other parts being under-cooked.