Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

TCS ~ December 2017: Turkish Tahini Cake

For December 2017, the TCS bakers have the choice of baking from any of the previous years' books, and there were many recipes to choose from, for sure!  But I choose to bake this recipe from this year's book, which I missed out when I had a little mishap with a metal meat tenderizer, a brick - all for an orchid plant.  That little mishap put my thumb out of action for a month... 
Anyways, since I have bought all the ingredients for this cake, might as well bake it!  Tahini, sesame seeds, walnuts, dried fruit and mixed peel (and no butter!), APF (I used unbleached organic flour), cinnamon powder, half the amount called for the fine sugar, orange juice and others.  The first step was beating the tahini till smooth, gradually add the sugar... and... baking soda mixed into brandy... and the amazement I had... when this brandy/baking soda mixture was added to the tahini and sugar ... fantastic!
The rest of the steps were pretty much the usual mixing stuff, but this batter is thicker than most cake batter, FYI! I made the full recipe and using mini pans I got two 4.5" round cakes and six cupcakes!  The cupcakes came out first (after 20 mins bake time), leaving the first round pan behind, added the second round pan where the cupcakes were.  Parchment paper on top to prevent burning (see cupcakes).  The first round cake came out (after 40 mins) and second round cake had about the same bake time ie 40 mins. 
 
The longer baked round cake tasted better than the cupcakes.  I did reduced the fine sugar to half cup instead of one cup; I juiced (blended - peeled) three smallish oranges (should have used four) and I decided to use up everything instead straining the orange pulp from the juice (thus there is a slight bitter aftertaste - because of the white membrane from the oranges!).  Other than that, pretty darn tasty this cake, with a small dose of thick black Turkish coffee!

While some recipes that were tried by my fellow TCS bakers were problematic, I quite enjoyed my year's journey with Roger Pizey's World Class Cakes ~ View my past year's cake journey HERE!

Turkish Tahini Cake ~ recipe from pgs 114-115 of
"World Class Cakes" by Roger Pizey
~*~
November is the last month we are baking from "World Class Cakes" by Roger Pizey, and first time ever in the history of TheCakeSliceBakers, in December we shall be revisiting the previous cake books and baking our own choices or favorites!  Excellent Idea, Admins!
~*~
Please scroll down to see all the beautiful cakes that were baked this month, and don't forget to check out our Facebook Page. Also, if you are interested in joining the #TheCakeSliceBakers, please send an email to Felice at thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com, and she will send you all the information you need! We are a great bunch of bakers, happy to make new friends!

The Cake Slice Badge


6 comments:

Elle said...

You really did have a good year with Roger's book. I liked most of the recipes I made, too. This Tahini Cake looks delicious!

Emily said...

Elle! You and I were the lucky ones with Roger's book!

kitchen flavours said...

Your cake looks great! Glad to know that you have enjoyed all the recipes you've tried from this book! Wish I could say the same for myself!
Merry Christmas!

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

I am so glad you got to make this after the brick and meat tenderizer mishap - it looks fantastic!

OvenDelights said...

I just recently came across tahini and this Cake crossed my mind! Now I know where to find in case I ever make this recipe!
The cake looks and sounds wonderful!

Sandra Lee said...

This is very unique cake and I think my family would love it. Happy New Year and Happy Baking!